Most of us would enjoy looking younger, but we often don’t know how to achieve these looks without taking drastic measures. If you’re not interested in having cosmetic surgery, or your doctor doesn’t think you will make a good candidate, there are ways you can naturally improve your appearance.
If you find that you still aren’t getting the results you had hoped for, talk to a plastic surgeon about a less invasive option such as Botox, Radiesse or Juvederm. In the meantime, here are 10 ways to look younger naturally.
- Exfoliate each week. Exfoliation is good for the skin because it removes dead skin cells and exposes a younger looking face. Plus, exfoliation boosts collagen production and makes it easier for the skin to absorb moisturizing creams.
- Do a monthly chemical peel. Another thing you can do is a chemical peel, though this only needs to be done once a month. Chemical peels, or microdermabrasion, removes the upper layer of skin and stimulates collagen production. The procedure is done by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
- Use a retinoid cream. Retinoid creams promote collagen production to get rid of wrinkles, age spots and acne. Some creams can be purchased over the counter, while others are prescription strength.
- Use an antioxidant cream. Antioxidants fight against free radicals that damage the body. You can get most of your antioxidants by eating the right foods, mostly fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, beans and dark chocolate. There are also antioxidant creams that can help speed up results.
- Apply a moisturizer. Keeping the skin moisturized makes your skin look smooth and radiant. The good news is that you don’t have to spend a lot on a moisturizer to make your skin look good. Most over-the-counter moisturizers are adequate.
- Exercise. Everyone’s favorite advice, exercise really does do the body good. When you exercise, more nutrients and oxygen are circulated to your skin, making you look more radiant. It also jumpstarts collagen production and prevents free radical damage.
- Lose excess pounds. By exercising, you can lose weight, which will also help you look younger. Think about the before and after pictures you’ve seen of other people who have lost weight. The transformation is amazing!
- Get 6-8 hours of sleep. Don’t cheat yourself out of sleep – it’s important! When you’re tired and stressed out, your body releases more cortisol that can damage your skin. Plus, your eyes may look puffy with a lack of sleep. Strive for at least 6-8 hours each night.
- Get whiter teeth. Yes, this actually works! People love bright, white smiles and link them to youthfulness. Visit your dentist for suggestions on which whitening products or techniques to use.
- Wear sunscreen. Wear sunscreen every day. The sun’s rays damage the skin, which becomes more noticeable with age. The easiest way to make sure you’re always covered – rain or shine – is by choosing a foundation that includes sunscreen.
Berlet Plastic Surgery recommends starting with some of these natural ways to look and feel your best. If you feel that you need more, contact us for a consultation. We will discuss your needs and which cosmetic options will help you achieve your goals.